Saturday, April 09, 2005

The Matrix Has You. It Wants Its Red Pill Back.

This is way cool! A means of beaming communications (scents, sights etc.) directly into the brain via ultrasound. It claims to be much more accurate than the other cool method of getting through the skull without a saw, transcranial magnetic stimulation.

There are a few temporary let downs as I see it. The technology is likely not anywhere near full working prototype stage. It will probably require powerful computers, massively clever software and some extensive training so it does not make you smell burn toast when it wants you to see the colour green. Most importantly it sounds like this is an input only system. The transcranial magnetic stimulation, while having a lower resolution is, if I am not mistaking it for another technology I read about, able to measure neuron activity as well as influence them. Perhaps a hybrid system could be used to take advantage of both these technologies.

Hey! If a helmet was designed to feed us a Matrix-like virtual world and a collar was designed so that a computer could control our spinal cords and use our bodies like robot slaves, we might be toiling in a salt mine somewhere while we think we are middle-class westerners typing away at a computer! Cool. I wonder if I can hack my way into some movie star's life. This ultrasound sounds a lot nicer that having that spike shoved into the back of one's neck like Keanu Reeve. It is no wonder his acting is so flat.

2 Comments:

At Sun Apr 10, 02:24:00 AM 2005, Blogger Robert said...

As single man without any prospects, I wouldn't mind seeing an orgasmic mechanism developed quite soon.

 
At Sun Apr 10, 02:48:00 AM 2005, Blogger Apesnake said...

Now I have that image of Woody Allen clutching the Orgasmatron in my mind. I wish I had some scotch.

http://fusionanomaly.net/sleeperwoodyallenholdingorb.jpg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



 


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.