ALL YOUR CHILDREN ARE BELONG TO US!
Is your religion mainstream enough to expose your children to? Not if you are a Wiccan in Indianapolis. Now everyone knows that this judge has no leg to stand on with this. He was either smoking crack in his chambers or is being blackmailed by some snakehandler preacher who has pictures of him with an elephant seal in a seedy hotel room. But a win is a win for fundamentalists.
Once this goes to the supremes and they have to strike it down, Frist and Delay can cry about judicial activists even though anyone with half a brain can see that a court barring a parent from teaching their child their religion is so unconstitutional as to call the sanity of the judiciary of Indiana into question. Since Wicca is the fastest growing religion in North America they will have to either drop the Spanish inquisition mindset or start dropping Christian sects from constitutional protection as Wicca surpasses them. If you assume that the Wiccan fraction is the cut off point to be considered mainstream then many non-Christian sects like Scientology are already "illegally" exposing their kids to their faith, though, given the corporate structure of that group, child labour laws may be more appropriate then any religious litmus tests (I call no lawsuits! Can't tag the butcher!). But the Unitarians, while apparently growing in number are only at double the number for Wiccans and if Wicca is growing as fast as demographers claim they had better have their children now if they want to raise them in their faith. Once the pagans eclipses them they are out of here.
Buddhists and Muslims have some more breathing room but only a little. They are each five times as large as the Wiccans but at 0.5% of the U.S. population they should hope that the definition of mainstream does not get much stricter. It may not matter, if the constitution gets torn up to protect it from "activist judges" they can just draw the line at anyone who is not a Baptist. There are enough forms of Baptist to still make the claim to being a religiously free nation even if just under 50% don't think so. If the Jedi religion merges with the Wiccans and technopagans the Baptists will really be sweating. Imagine three fast growing minorities merging into a single group composed of hackers with lightsabers and mistletoe. That even makes me nervous.
- Aetiology - a great biology site dealing with diseases, causes, origins evolution.
- Biology News
- Living the Scientific Life.
- National Geographic News
- New Scientist
- The Panda's Thumb - pro-evolution and anti-creationism/I.D. information, articles and arguments
- ScienceBlogs - just what it says.
- Science Daily
- Android World
- Better Humans - because the current versions are kind of half-assed
- Eurekalert - lots of science and technology news
- HowStuffWorks - shows how stuff works
- Kurzweil AI - futurist, inventor, a nutbar with vision. This site has many interesting articles and news links
- Sci-Tech Today - technology, discovery & innovation
- Wired News
News, Events and Opinion
- BBC News
- China Digital News
- The Economist - news from economically educated, libertarian types
- Good News from the Front
- Regime Change Iran - real news about the Islamic Republic Of Iran.
- Reuters News
Fun, BLASPHEMY and Other Stuff
- Americans United for the Separation of Church and State
- Baby got book
- The Frown - funny cartoons
- Homestar Runner - funny cartoons
- Internet Infidels News Wire
- Jesus Dressup - evil fun
- Jesus never existed.
- Landover Baptist - "Where the Worthwhile Worship"
- Normal Bob Smith - atheist humour, art and hate-mail from "spiritual" people
- "Why I Don't Buy the Resurrection."
- "Why Jews Don't Believe In Jesus."
Sites of Interest.
These sites are ones that either I agree with and support, were cool enough to provide a link to me, are sites that I don't yet know what to make of, do not fit in one of my other catagories or all of the foregoing.
visit and decide for yourself.
- Afghan Warrior
- Babalu Blog - an island on the net without a bearded dictator
- Chrenkoff - unapologetically right wing but he has good news about Iraq and Afghanistan that the media ignores
- Enlightened Living
- Eric's Grumbles Before The Grave
- Free Iraqi - one voice from inside the country that everyone has an opinion about
- The Holocaust History Project - info on Holocaust history and refutes denial claims
- Libertopia - philosophy, politics, religion and everything else…
- Mossback Culture - right wing yet pro evolution. (best of both worlds)
- Nadz Online - she's atheist, Arab-American, funny, intelligent and uses an awesome blog template.
- normblog - The weblog of Norman Geras
- Rantings of a Sandmonkey - a pro U.S. Egyptian blog
- Sunni and the Conspirators
- Sunni's Salon
- Talk Origins (site map) - one of the best sites on the Internet for putting forward the case for evolution and answering its opponents.
- The Unrepentant Individual - libertarian, I agree with 75% of his beliefs (margin of error 25%)
- World Changing - positive news about improving the world.
- The Y Files - feminism which some feminists consider anti-feminist.
- Advanced Google
- Organic Chemistry - Virtual Textbook
- SpellCheck.net - web based spell checker with links to other cool tools.
- WhatIsMyIP - because you can never find it when you need it.
- Wikipedia - a great tool for learning but not for referencing
Day By Day© by Chris Muir.