Saturday, June 11, 2005

NBC Nightly News Scared the Vinegar Out of Me

I was watching the NBC nightly news (I was not in charge of the TV remote) and I was so shocked by what I saw that I thought the world was coming to an end. It started out normally enough with a story about Afghanistan - there were recently American casualties there so all of a sudden it is in the news. But then, out of the usual hopelessness and despair that the media will serve up when present and makes up when absent, there was an actual bit of editorial content that was... positive towards the military and the work they were doing. I just about died right there.

But the shock to my system was not finished. At the end of the broadcast was a piece about the Baghdad symphony (composed of Sunni, Shia, Kurds and Christians) and it did not try to make life under Saddam seem nice or try to praise the insurgents as freedom fighters. It did not even have some reporter trying to get them to bad mouth the Americans by asking leading questions. The story mentioned their rising salaries and their commitment to bringing about an improvement in their country through their music. After I checked the channel to see if I was really watching a network news show and not some new kind of pirate TV station, I have decided that reality has completely snapped into little shards and melted in a tangled mess.

Run for the hills - if they are still there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



 


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.