I Love Having an Excuse to be Smug
Having previously stated that "studies" are at best a starting point for science and at worst a load of latrine ballast, I will be seen as somewhat hypocritical for bringing this up but I refuse to be less hypocritical than the rest of my species. (Why not at least be honest about it?)
In that spirit, here is an article about some findings which indicate that religion is bad for society. Certain creationists (many in fact) have argued against evolution in part by claiming that belief in it is the cause of all racism, war, greed and bad weather and thus must be false. I thought that the supposed societal effects of believing something should not be used to determine if it is true or not but not everyone sees it that way. Would this mean that if it is true that religion has a negative effect on society that all religions have been proven false? (Does that mean I win? Can we all go home?)
I know, I know. It could be that the high suicide rate and teen pregnancies and murders are what is causing high religious observance (God 'elp us!) or they could both be caused by a third, non-obvious cause. But why philosophize? Let's just blame God. (Just kidding big guy! Don't hurricane me or nothin'. He he - gulp)
But in matters of theology the last word should go to someone who really knows the issues and is an esteemed thinker who is known for wisdom and intellectual depth. Unfortunately she is on vacation, so in her stead I give to you, ladies and gentlemen...
A man of high office and low brow...
Alabama state Sen. Hank Erwin When is this planet going to instituted mandatory intelligence tests for politicians? It is not like people have not been made to look ridiculous over this thinking for weeks now. This means he either is completely out of touch with what is going on around him or he has no ability to learn from the stupidity of others. Either way he looks over qualified for being a senator. Send him to Canada so we can make him our new God.
PS. Since Hurricane Rita did not look much like a fetus the way Katrina was supposed to have, I went back and looked at many hurricane photos and noticed a disturbing trend. They all resemble the anuses (ani? anusese?) of sodomites. (At least that is what I assume a sodomite's anus looks like under false colour radar and such. It is an experiment that I am not rushing out to perform.) Someone had better inform Sen. Hank Erwin. This sounds like it would be right up his alley. The Pope will want to get to the bottom of this too.
- Aetiology - a great biology site dealing with diseases, causes, origins evolution.
- Biology News
- Living the Scientific Life.
- National Geographic News
- New Scientist
- The Panda's Thumb - pro-evolution and anti-creationism/I.D. information, articles and arguments
- ScienceBlogs - just what it says.
- Science Daily
- Android World
- Better Humans - because the current versions are kind of half-assed
- Eurekalert - lots of science and technology news
- HowStuffWorks - shows how stuff works
- Kurzweil AI - futurist, inventor, a nutbar with vision. This site has many interesting articles and news links
- Sci-Tech Today - technology, discovery & innovation
- Wired News
News, Events and Opinion
- BBC News
- China Digital News
- The Economist - news from economically educated, libertarian types
- Good News from the Front
- Regime Change Iran - real news about the Islamic Republic Of Iran.
- Reuters News
Fun, BLASPHEMY and Other Stuff
- Americans United for the Separation of Church and State
- Baby got book
- The Frown - funny cartoons
- Homestar Runner - funny cartoons
- Internet Infidels News Wire
- Jesus Dressup - evil fun
- Jesus never existed.
- Landover Baptist - "Where the Worthwhile Worship"
- Normal Bob Smith - atheist humour, art and hate-mail from "spiritual" people
- "Why I Don't Buy the Resurrection."
- "Why Jews Don't Believe In Jesus."
Sites of Interest.
These sites are ones that either I agree with and support, were cool enough to provide a link to me, are sites that I don't yet know what to make of, do not fit in one of my other catagories or all of the foregoing.
visit and decide for yourself.
- Afghan Warrior
- Babalu Blog - an island on the net without a bearded dictator
- Chrenkoff - unapologetically right wing but he has good news about Iraq and Afghanistan that the media ignores
- Enlightened Living
- Eric's Grumbles Before The Grave
- Free Iraqi - one voice from inside the country that everyone has an opinion about
- The Holocaust History Project - info on Holocaust history and refutes denial claims
- Libertopia - philosophy, politics, religion and everything else…
- Mossback Culture - right wing yet pro evolution. (best of both worlds)
- Nadz Online - she's atheist, Arab-American, funny, intelligent and uses an awesome blog template.
- normblog - The weblog of Norman Geras
- Rantings of a Sandmonkey - a pro U.S. Egyptian blog
- Sunni and the Conspirators
- Sunni's Salon
- Talk Origins (site map) - one of the best sites on the Internet for putting forward the case for evolution and answering its opponents.
- The Unrepentant Individual - libertarian, I agree with 75% of his beliefs (margin of error 25%)
- World Changing - positive news about improving the world.
- The Y Files - feminism which some feminists consider anti-feminist.
- Advanced Google
- Organic Chemistry - Virtual Textbook
- SpellCheck.net - web based spell checker with links to other cool tools.
- WhatIsMyIP - because you can never find it when you need it.
- Wikipedia - a great tool for learning but not for referencing
Day By Day© by Chris Muir.