Wednesday, September 28, 2005

I Love Having an Excuse to be Smug

Having previously stated that "studies" are at best a starting point for science and at worst a load of latrine ballast, I will be seen as somewhat hypocritical for bringing this up but I refuse to be less hypocritical than the rest of my species. (Why not at least be honest about it?)

In that spirit, here is an article about some findings which indicate that religion is bad for society. Certain creationists (many in fact) have argued against evolution in part by claiming that belief in it is the cause of all racism, war, greed and bad weather and thus must be false. I thought that the supposed societal effects of believing something should not be used to determine if it is true or not but not everyone sees it that way. Would this mean that if it is true that religion has a negative effect on society that all religions have been proven false? (Does that mean I win? Can we all go home?)

I know, I know. It could be that the high suicide rate and teen pregnancies and murders are what is causing high religious observance (God 'elp us!) or they could both be caused by a third, non-obvious cause. But why philosophize? Let's just blame God. (Just kidding big guy! Don't hurricane me or nothin'. He he - gulp)

But in matters of theology the last word should go to someone who really knows the issues and is an esteemed thinker who is known for wisdom and intellectual depth. Unfortunately she is on vacation, so in her stead I give to you, ladies and gentlemen...
(drum roll)

A man of high office and low brow...
Alabama state Sen. Hank Erwin When is this planet going to instituted mandatory intelligence tests for politicians? It is not like people have not been made to look ridiculous over this thinking for weeks now. This means he either is completely out of touch with what is going on around him or he has no ability to learn from the stupidity of others. Either way he looks over qualified for being a senator. Send him to Canada so we can make him our new God.

PS. Since Hurricane Rita did not look much like a fetus the way Katrina was supposed to have, I went back and looked at many hurricane photos and noticed a disturbing trend. They all resemble the anuses (ani? anusese?) of sodomites. (At least that is what I assume a sodomite's anus looks like under false colour radar and such. It is an experiment that I am not rushing out to perform.) Someone had better inform Sen. Hank Erwin. This sounds like it would be right up his alley. The Pope will want to get to the bottom of this too.

5 Comments:

At Fri Sep 30, 12:11:00 AM 2005, Blogger Robert said...

I largely agree with your view of ‘religionists’. That said, I posted my take on the issue…for what it’s worth.

 
At Sun Oct 02, 01:49:00 AM 2005, Blogger Apesnake said...

I responded to your take on the issue in the comments. Your "take" is quite a good "take" to take if I may say.

Now to go and get some take-out.

 
At Sun Oct 02, 02:17:00 PM 2005, Blogger Robert said...

I'll take it!

 
At Mon Oct 03, 11:49:00 PM 2005, Blogger alena said...

Cool Blog, I never really thought about it that way.

I have a Hurricane Katrina blog. It pretty much covers hurricane related stuff.

Thank you - and keep up the thoughts!

 
At Tue Oct 04, 05:47:00 PM 2005, Blogger Apesnake said...

Cool comment, I never really thought about it that way.

I have a get stuffed blog. It pretty much covers getting stuffed related stuff.

Thank you - and keep up the spam!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



 


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.