Saturday, January 28, 2006

Know Thine Enemy.

I was looking over "normblog" and a couple of posts caught my eye. The first one brings to my attention that The Guardian is referring to people who Hamas terrorists kill (those men, women and children on bus) as Hamas' "enemies". I new The Guardian was low as far as journalistic ethics were concerned and yet I still thought they might at least pretend they has scruples. Also, a new Gallup poll shows that the people of Iraq and Afghanistan are so brainwashed by their American captors that they are actually optimistic about the country and its future. I am chilled by what might happen once the American military brings those newly perfected mind control weapons back to the homeland. As an aside, Palestinians have been in the news because of their election of Hamas. I can understand dumping a political party that has become too corrupt and I can even understand being so desperate for change as to hope against hope that a terrorist organization might suddenly make a good governing body. What I can not understand is the "custom" for firing machine guns in the air as a celebration. This is in a city mind you, not some barren mountain range in Saudi Arabia. Do they not have gravity in the middle east? Sure, most of the bullets will not hit anyone and they do slow down significantly due to air resistance going up and coming down but skyward bullets still can and do kill people on occasion. And these guys are firing clip after clip! Are there not enough bullet holes in the roofs of you neighbors homes? I know it is a poor area and firearm safety courses are few and far between but can they afford common sense at least? (And if they can afford it they should export it to the world at a huge mark up.) While we are embodying our own cultural stereotypes, I think my Irish blood and I will go out and get drunk so I can beat someone up with my shillaly.

5 Comments:

At Mon Jan 30, 11:41:00 AM 2006, Blogger Robert said...

I followed a link to normblog (from Andrew Sullivan) the other day and really enjoyed it. It was interesting for me, a theist who is critical of “religion”, to read an atheist defend religion.

”What I can not understand is the "custom" for firing machine guns in the air as a celebration.”

We mustn’t be judgmental; we must embrace “cultural diversity”. You and I may value individual liberty, whereas others value female genital mutilation, absolute theocracy, cannibalism or indiscriminate gunfire. The important thing is that it’s right…for them.

 
At Mon Jan 30, 01:17:00 PM 2006, Blogger Apesnake said...

I don't have a gun but after reading your comment I threw some knives in the air (most went over my neighbor's roof) and I feel more diverse already. Wait, in order for this to be cultural diversity, someone else needs to do it right? Oops.

Everyone is in favor of cultural diversity until the pointy end of it comes dropping out of the sky on you.

 
At Mon Jan 30, 01:31:00 PM 2006, Blogger Apesnake said...

The Normblog post defending religion is interesting; much of the issue hangs on knowing what someone has got when they've got religion and what is the baggage that comes along with it. If I was able to figure out a way to clearly delineate that I could write a best-selling theology book and knock the Dali Lamma and the present and former Popes into the bargain bin. (I can dream can't I?)

Crap, I hope they don't read this. Eggs Benedict and Hello Dali might get together and use their power to turn me into a frog. "Apefrog" just does not have the same ring to it.

 
At Mon Jan 30, 02:37:00 PM 2006, Blogger Robert said...

”If I was able to figure out a way to clearly delineate that I could write a best-selling theology book and knock the Dali Lamma and the present and former Popes into the bargain bin.”

You ought to “strike while the iron is hot”, or “make hay while the sun shines” or (insert cliché here) because religion is “in vogue” right now, as evidenced by the elections of Bush and Harper. Hell, you could even make-up “a million little pieces” and call it non-fiction. Speaking of Hell, we’re both going, but we’ll know everyone there.

 
At Tue Jan 31, 10:03:00 AM 2006, Blogger Apesnake said...

"Speaking of Hell, we’re both going, but we’ll know everyone there."

Given all the people who are there these days it won't be much of a fall. I hope the world ends soon so there won't be many more people coming down after me. Hopefully they will all be women sinners from now on since the promise keepers are saving all the men.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



 


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.