Members of SA Gay Rights Group Out of Their Minds.
A South African Gay rights group feels that screening blood donations for risk behaviors is discrimination. They feel all blood should be treated equally. I'm sorry... body fluids have human rights now? I suppose that if you are going to confer civil rights to individual human cells you might as well include the 4 humours. Homosexuality is not sufficient to ban a donation but they are asking people if they have had guy on guy sex in the last 5 years. (I seem to remember that I get asked if I have since 1977.)
The is a simple fact in this world that HIV rates are higher in the homosexual community due to historical (a certain promiscuous Canadian flight attendant) and sociological factors, combined with the fact that anal sex is a much higher risk behavior than vaginal sex. The highest risk for transmission though is getting a blood transfusion from and infected donor and while the HIV test is good, it is not perfect and human errors do occur. This is why screening out the blood of people who engage in behaviors with the highest risk of transmission is imperative to preventing needless transmission.
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance is throwing away their credibility and damaging the reputation of homosexuals in a traditionally homophobic part of the world by encouraging well meaning homosexual, a portion of whom are most certainly infected without knowing it, to end the lives of people for political reasons.
Here you see a case where people have not been taught basic reasoning skills and so think that blood is endowed with human rights that equal or superior to those of real human beings. Is it a surprise that some people (myself at least) feel that the refusal to teach logic and reason in schools is a life and death issue? Do I need to write this on the moon with a giant laser or what?
- Aetiology - a great biology site dealing with diseases, causes, origins evolution.
- Biology News
- Living the Scientific Life.
- National Geographic News
- New Scientist
- The Panda's Thumb - pro-evolution and anti-creationism/I.D. information, articles and arguments
- ScienceBlogs - just what it says.
- Science Daily
- Android World
- Better Humans - because the current versions are kind of half-assed
- Eurekalert - lots of science and technology news
- HowStuffWorks - shows how stuff works
- Kurzweil AI - futurist, inventor, a nutbar with vision. This site has many interesting articles and news links
- Sci-Tech Today - technology, discovery & innovation
- Wired News
News, Events and Opinion
- BBC News
- China Digital News
- The Economist - news from economically educated, libertarian types
- Good News from the Front
- Regime Change Iran - real news about the Islamic Republic Of Iran.
- Reuters News
Fun, BLASPHEMY and Other Stuff
- Americans United for the Separation of Church and State
- Baby got book
- The Frown - funny cartoons
- Homestar Runner - funny cartoons
- Internet Infidels News Wire
- Jesus Dressup - evil fun
- Jesus never existed.
- Landover Baptist - "Where the Worthwhile Worship"
- Normal Bob Smith - atheist humour, art and hate-mail from "spiritual" people
- "Why I Don't Buy the Resurrection."
- "Why Jews Don't Believe In Jesus."
Sites of Interest.
These sites are ones that either I agree with and support, were cool enough to provide a link to me, are sites that I don't yet know what to make of, do not fit in one of my other catagories or all of the foregoing.
visit and decide for yourself.
- Afghan Warrior
- Babalu Blog - an island on the net without a bearded dictator
- Chrenkoff - unapologetically right wing but he has good news about Iraq and Afghanistan that the media ignores
- Enlightened Living
- Eric's Grumbles Before The Grave
- Free Iraqi - one voice from inside the country that everyone has an opinion about
- The Holocaust History Project - info on Holocaust history and refutes denial claims
- Libertopia - philosophy, politics, religion and everything else…
- Mossback Culture - right wing yet pro evolution. (best of both worlds)
- Nadz Online - she's atheist, Arab-American, funny, intelligent and uses an awesome blog template.
- normblog - The weblog of Norman Geras
- Rantings of a Sandmonkey - a pro U.S. Egyptian blog
- Sunni and the Conspirators
- Sunni's Salon
- Talk Origins (site map) - one of the best sites on the Internet for putting forward the case for evolution and answering its opponents.
- The Unrepentant Individual - libertarian, I agree with 75% of his beliefs (margin of error 25%)
- World Changing - positive news about improving the world.
- The Y Files - feminism which some feminists consider anti-feminist.
- Advanced Google
- Organic Chemistry - Virtual Textbook
- SpellCheck.net - web based spell checker with links to other cool tools.
- WhatIsMyIP - because you can never find it when you need it.
- Wikipedia - a great tool for learning but not for referencing
Day By Day© by Chris Muir.