Friday, January 13, 2006

A Venomous Primate - Cool

For some animals, being cute is not enough to get by in life. That is why the Slow Loris has toxic sweat glands. Not only can it take the toxin into its mouth to cause its bite to become venomous, it can coat its young with the stuff to dissuade predators. Who wants to eat a stinky baby Slow Loris and get a swollen mouth full of elbow poison. You don't make that mistake twice let me tell you.

Technically I think the toxin qualifies as both a venom (injected into live animals - though in this case passively via the bite unlike the hypodermic mechanism of snakes) and a poison (needs to be consumed) which will make things difficult for people who like to insist on the right word for everything.

I don't know what the big deal is though. I've been producing toxic sweat for years and no one ever made a fuss about me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



 


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.