The EU Joins the Middle East
Congratulation Europe. You have gone from a secular western society to part of the Caliphate (Caliph yet to be appointed but Muammar al-Qaddafi seems interested) with barely a blink of astonishment.
"The press will give the Muslim world the message: We are aware of the consequences of exercising the right of free expression," he (EU Justice and Security Commissioner Franco Frattini) told the newspaper (Britain's Daily Telegraph). "We can and we are ready to self-regulate that right."Just please don't kill us.
Oh and Commissioner, it's called "self-censoring" not "self-regulating". You'll want to get things like that right because if certain people in the Middle East think you are back-pedaling... CHOP-CHOP
His proposed voluntary code would urge the media to respect all religious sensibilities but would not offer privileged status to any one faith. Rather than offering privileged status to any one faith, privileged status will be awarded to religions in a hierarchical manner based on degree of violence they threaten with extra points being granted to extremely litigious religions. Religions which support secular, pluralistic and humanistic values and do not feel that people should be governed by the taboos of belief systems to which they do not adhere (assuming such religions exist) will be placed on the bottom of the hierarchy and will be told to piss off.
It seems that the best way to get rid of a stereotype like "All Muslims are religious psychopaths" is to enshrine it in official policy with not only the consent but the insistence of the stereotyped group. I guess you learn something new every day.
- Aetiology - a great biology site dealing with diseases, causes, origins evolution.
- Biology News
- Living the Scientific Life.
- National Geographic News
- New Scientist
- The Panda's Thumb - pro-evolution and anti-creationism/I.D. information, articles and arguments
- ScienceBlogs - just what it says.
- Science Daily
- Android World
- Better Humans - because the current versions are kind of half-assed
- Eurekalert - lots of science and technology news
- HowStuffWorks - shows how stuff works
- Kurzweil AI - futurist, inventor, a nutbar with vision. This site has many interesting articles and news links
- Sci-Tech Today - technology, discovery & innovation
- Wired News
News, Events and Opinion
- BBC News
- China Digital News
- The Economist - news from economically educated, libertarian types
- Good News from the Front
- Regime Change Iran - real news about the Islamic Republic Of Iran.
- Reuters News
Fun, BLASPHEMY and Other Stuff
- Americans United for the Separation of Church and State
- Baby got book
- The Frown - funny cartoons
- Homestar Runner - funny cartoons
- Internet Infidels News Wire
- Jesus Dressup - evil fun
- Jesus never existed.
- Landover Baptist - "Where the Worthwhile Worship"
- Normal Bob Smith - atheist humour, art and hate-mail from "spiritual" people
- "Why I Don't Buy the Resurrection."
- "Why Jews Don't Believe In Jesus."
Sites of Interest.
These sites are ones that either I agree with and support, were cool enough to provide a link to me, are sites that I don't yet know what to make of, do not fit in one of my other catagories or all of the foregoing.
visit and decide for yourself.
- Afghan Warrior
- Babalu Blog - an island on the net without a bearded dictator
- Chrenkoff - unapologetically right wing but he has good news about Iraq and Afghanistan that the media ignores
- Enlightened Living
- Eric's Grumbles Before The Grave
- Free Iraqi - one voice from inside the country that everyone has an opinion about
- The Holocaust History Project - info on Holocaust history and refutes denial claims
- Libertopia - philosophy, politics, religion and everything else…
- Mossback Culture - right wing yet pro evolution. (best of both worlds)
- Nadz Online - she's atheist, Arab-American, funny, intelligent and uses an awesome blog template.
- normblog - The weblog of Norman Geras
- Rantings of a Sandmonkey - a pro U.S. Egyptian blog
- Sunni and the Conspirators
- Sunni's Salon
- Talk Origins (site map) - one of the best sites on the Internet for putting forward the case for evolution and answering its opponents.
- The Unrepentant Individual - libertarian, I agree with 75% of his beliefs (margin of error 25%)
- World Changing - positive news about improving the world.
- The Y Files - feminism which some feminists consider anti-feminist.
- Advanced Google
- Organic Chemistry - Virtual Textbook
- SpellCheck.net - web based spell checker with links to other cool tools.
- WhatIsMyIP - because you can never find it when you need it.
- Wikipedia - a great tool for learning but not for referencing
Day By Day© by Chris Muir.